Monday, December 03, 2007

Sadness is...

If ever I were a superstitious person it would be now.

My last post was about my three year old and her blankie (a.k.a. the love of her life right now). Well, that was posted on Wednesday night, and then, THE VERY NEXT MORNING we lost the blanket. Now, blankie has been lost before, but always somewhere right under our noses. You know, stuck in a hiding place somewhere, outside on the swing set or wrapped around a baby doll, but always in a place where we knew it would eventually be found. But not this time. After retracing all of our steps on that day, I've concluded that it is in the great black hole of Wal-Mart.

Gone. Forever.

It is heart wrenching to see your child hurting over the loss of something that seems so unnecessary to us grown-ups, but very precious to them. So in my weakness, I produced ANOTHER blankie to try to substitute in. It was reluctantly received at first, thrown on the floor a few times in an attempt to go to sleep that night, but I think it has finally been accepted.

She knows the one she loved is gone. And this, I guess, is the first of many heartaches to come. But isn't it good to know that this world is not our home. I pray that I can use these moments, even at three years old, to teach my children the truth in Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

And no, I'm not superstitious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is sad for her. I know how much she love and adored that blankie. Maybe she will see that she can still be safe without it.


Have a good day, and hug her for me!

Krista said...

That is so sad. Although, like you stated, it is a great opportunity to teach her through this sad time. I know you are probably just as sad, or more sad, than she is just watching her miss her blanket.

We hope to see you guys at the Christmas cantata, if you are going to be there!